Saturday, June 9, 2007

11 Mile Canyon

Today I caught my first trout on a fly rod! I could not have chosen a better place or time to learn how to fly fish. We have 3 of the most knowledgable fly guides, and I'm learning details about the sport that some men dont learn in 40 years of fishing. These men are passing down skills and wisdom that they have learned over their lifetime to us, and we are being led into the world of flyfishing.

The greatest part of learning from Ron, Tim, and Andy is the fact that we are being taught the correct and proper way to fly fish. This sport comes with so much common knowledge that without older and wiser men to teach us we would be lost....and without fish. But I love the idea that today I steped foot into a raging river with the fear of failure and no confidence in my form. Ron took me to his favorite hole "Old Faithful" and with patience he guided me on what to do in every situation. I had a few hits and one hook but I had not landed one....after a couple hours on the river I told Ron that I would give him a cigar if he would guide me to catch my first ever trout. So he accepted and led me to a hole where we hid behind a boulder and Ron pointed me towards where to cast my fly. In about 3 or 4 casts I caught a 10 inch rainbow trout!Along with the skill of fly fishing I realized something today, I trusted Ron. I trusted in every word he said to me, knowing that it came from the wisdom and knowledge of years of experience. I never second guessed him or even doubted. Even in my failure I knew that if I was patient and continued to follow Ron's teaching, then I would develop the correct form and eventually succeed.
I was initiated into flyfishing today by Ron the same way that God initiates me throughout life, but the difference is that I dont usually trust God. I tend to do things my own way, no matter what God is trying to teach me. God will point me in a certian direction and I baisically cast my fly in the opposite direction, on the rocks or in the thorn bushes, but I dont care because I did it my way. I dont need direction, I can handle this life on my own, I'll succeed in my own way...

Soon enough I've broken my line, lost all my flies, and more importantly I haven't caught any fish.

Through the context of fly fishing and faith in Ron's teaching I caught my first trout. Now if I could only trust God with the same faith.

1 comment:

  1. Campbell...great time catching that rainbow trout!!! Sounds like the adventure continues...We miss seeing you and very proud that you have choosen to accept this summers adventure with open arms. From your articles it sounds as if you are growing more aware of what God will do for us if we allow HIS direction to lead us. Thanks for your heart and leadership. Take it all in and learn form HIM what he truly desires to teach us all. Obedience, trust, and total dependance on HIS Holy Spirit to lead. Proud of you son!!!!
    Love, Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete